Certificate in Professional Coaching Course
Course #: G-CPC-106 Hours: 16 Lec/ 2 Lab/ 0 Ext/ 18 Total
Subject Title: LISTENS ACTIVELY
Method: Live Instructor-Led Online Schedule: SAT/SUN 8 AM – 5:30 PM
Complete Synopsis Prerequisites: None
Effective competent coaches have the ability to focus completely on what the client is saying and is not saying, to understand the meaning of what is said in the context of the client’s desires, and to support client self-expression. Coaches who master the practice of LISTENS ACTIVELY to clients are more likely to see the client be able to freely fully express and communicate his/her thoughts, plans, and needs as they relate to the desired coaching relationship, and see the client accomplish his/her desired results. Based upon ICF public documents, the D.I.A.M.O.N.D.S. CORE COMPETENCIES FOR COACHING curriculum provide guidelines, suggestions, and opportunities for coach practitioners, mentors, supervisors, trainers, and students in their coaching work and practices to apply competent application of the ICF Core Competency – LISTENS ACTIVELY. A minimum of 16 class hours is spent in coach-specific training and practice on this essential core competency.
Required Textbook: DIAMONDS Core Competencies for Coaching: Coach-specific Training for Professional Coaches and Aspiring Coaches by Dr Merle Evelyn Ray (Author) (2017), ISBN 978-1720921318
- Identify and describe attending to the client and the client’s agenda – not to the coach’s agenda for the client.
- Identify and describe hearing the client’s concerns, goals, values and beliefs about what is and is not possible.
- Identify and describe distinguishing between the words, the tone of voice, and the body language of the client.
- Identify and describe summarizing, paraphrasing, reiterating, and mirroring back what the client has said to ensure clarity and understanding.
- Identify and describe encouraging, accepting, exploring and reinforcing the client’s expression of feelings, perceptions, concerns, beliefs, suggestions, in order to have clear and effective communication.
- Identify and describe integrating and building on client’s ideas and suggestions.
- Identify and describe assisting the client in getting to the “bottom-line,” understanding the essence of the client’s communication.
- Identify and describe allowing the client to vent or “clear” the situation without judgment or attachment in order to move on to next steps.
- Updated ICF Core Competencies – https://coachfederation.org/core-competencies
- ICF Core Competencies Comparison Table https://coachfederation.org/app/uploads/2017/12/ICFCompetenciesLevelsTable.pdf
- ICF PCC Markers https://coachfederation.org/pcc-markers
- A class syllabus is provided for each student upon successful enrollment and acceptance. Also see the section on How to Complete this Certificate.